Skip to main content

The Start of the Journey

The Pain of Writing


Maybe I should just start by saying it’s taken me weeks to write this blog post. Before I could make myself sit down and write, I had to shove aside all the clutter in my mind and tune out the chaos of my house. That proved and is proving to be an ongoing struggle. I’ve been experiencing an incredible lack of focus these past few months, and I don’t think I’m the only one. That’s part of the reason for this blog. I need to write instead of letting thoughts tumble endlessly in my head until they rob me of sleep and make me feel sad and stuck. But I also need accountability and direction. I don’t create when I don’t feel a sense of urgency. This is partly because I’m lazy and partly because I have a gift for stopping literary endeavors before I even get started. 


This is what happens. I sit down with my open laptop, excited to start writing. Then I pause. I could write about literally anything. What should I pick? Then my mind goes blank and I start to feel stuck. Then I say, “screw it! I said I was going to write, so I’m going to write, whatever it takes.” And I use the Stream of Consciousness method, vomiting out everything onto a page. Then my internal editor rears its ugly head, sometimes mid-sentence, and screams at me that it’s all garbage and no matter how long I work it will never be good enough and this is all a waste of time. So I give up. Close the laptop. I’ll try again tomorrow. Maybe. In reality, I try again in a month or so, with the same results. Then rinse and repeat. 


That’s part of why I’m launching this blog: I want to get past that wall and create a new experience around writing. I want to develop my voice and my confidence while sharing my ideas with an audience. This blog is the vehicle through which I hope to do that.


So now that you know about this blog’s origins, I should probably give you an explanation of its name and tell you a little more about myself. 


Being a Blind Girl


People are really freaked out by the word “blind.” It’s not uncommon for people to ask hesitatingly if I was “born … that way.” I even remember one gentleman who watched my orientation and mobility instructor and me from his porch during many of our lessons and one day finally asked my instructor, “How long has she had that problem?” (Yes! he addressed my teacher even though I was right there, but that’s a problem for another blog post.)


Then there are the people who don’t bring it up at all. Often they have at least a couple looming questions about how I function, but they’re afraid they’ll offend me by using the wrong words, so they sit with their preconceived notions instead of asking anything. They try—with varying levels of success—to pretend they don’t see that I’m blind. But there’s a tension that lingers in the air, and eventually something will happen to make them smack into my blindness like a brick wall. Everything might be fine and dandy while we’re sitting and chatting, but if we have to change locations and it’s an unfamiliar area, suddenly they realize I can’t just follow them and they don’t know what to do or how to act. Sometimes this results in them trying to grab me by the shoulders or put a hand on my back and physically steer me before I can get out of their grasp and take their elbow instead. (Ugh!) Or they try to hand me something without telling me, so that their hand just awkwardly hovers holding something in the air while I’m oblivious. Or they start talking about a movie and then get tripped up and haultingly ask me if I’ve ever listened to it. All this to say that people are scared of the word “blind,” and their fear of that word tends to make things a lot more awkward. 


Then there’s the academic discussion of proper usage. Some people argue that “person who is blind” is a better phrase to describe someone because it puts the person first and relegates the blindness to secondary status. But “I am a person who is blind”—or worse, “I am a woman who happens to be blind”—have always sounded cumbersome and stilted to me. 


My Perspective


I’m blind. It’s simple as that. (Oh, sidenote: do NOT get me started on idiotic terms like “differently abled.” I’m not an alien species with a strange set of superpowers. I’m blind.) I can’t see. I can’t read the titles of books at the bookstore or the names of streets. I read braille and use a cane, and my computer reads the screen out loud. These are facts of life. There’s no way around them. Blindness is a real limitation. There’s no point in pretending otherwise. But it’s also not something to be afraid of, and it even comes with a couple perks—being able to read in the dark is one example. So I have no problem just saying “I’m blind,” or thinking of myself as a blind girl. It’s an easy-to-say, accurate descriptor, and there’s not much more to it than that.


About Me 


So we’ve established that I’m blind. That’s just one part of who I am. It means I have to adapt and live my life a different way sometimes, but it’s by no means all there is too me. 

Onto the rest, then. What should my readers know about me right off the bat? My family is one of the most important things in my life and has been instrumental in shaping the person I am today. (I’m the second of seven kids, so that’s a lot of people doing the shaping.) I’m a lover of strong tea, turkey sandwiches, and fantasy novels. I play a lot of Dungeons and Dragons. I sing, play the piano, and write songs. (For some reason, I’m able to get out of my head long enough to create when it’s in a musical form. Haven’t figured out why yet.) I delight in the study of languages and literature. I have strong opinions about politics, but politics also make me nauseous and I’m never fully confident that I have enough facts to back up my opinions. I care deeply about my relationship with God but tend to neglect and resist it, and I want to do something meaningful with my life but I don’t know what that thing is yet. 

Now this is the part where I ask you to buy what I’m selling. Come with me on this journey. I’ll write down my observations about life as it unfolds. I’ll give you my honest take on what it’s like living with a disability. I’ll explore questions of faith and spirituality. I’ll tell you of my dreams and my passions, of my fears and my flaws. I can’t make any promises about the destination of this journey, but I can promise I’ll try to have fun and entertain you along the way. And if all goes well, we may all end up a little wiser than when we started. 


Comments

  1. So great to put this out there like this. I remember the first day we met you. Gavin had so many questions and I told him it was ok to ask you. We immediately fell in love with you and your family. I think it’s important to put these expectations and thoughts out to the world. Thank you for being you!!

    -cristy house

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Emmie, and am excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Emmie! It's Barb Schultz from NuSkin; used to be in your dad's downline. I remember being at Disneyland and walking with you up Main Street back to our hotel. It was cool to be walking with you, and we talked about how you adapt to walking with people. And how you brother walked you into obstacles occasionally. LOL! I continue to be impressed with all that you have achieved, including teaching your brother a bit of Chinese. The Christmas song you wrote years ago, and the video of you performing it, will always be a bright memory. I wish you great success with this new venture of yours; I'm sure that you will excell here, too.
    All the best, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emmie,
    I’m looking forward to this journey. Thanks for the invitation.
    Gail Spach

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jody Muka commenting:
    Gordon MacDonald's book "Ordering Your Private World" suggests journalling with a twist: plan to write every day, but restrict yourself to ONE page. Everyday when you start to journal on your blank page Write the same first word: Yesterday. Follow this with a paragraph or two recounting yesterday's events -sort of a post-game analysis. Write whatever you want (you don't have to organize or limit yourself) perhaps al description of the people you interacted with;your appointments;thoughts; feelings; high points, low points,; decisions; frustrations; what you read or learned in your Bible; what you were going to do and didn't do. According to McDonald this exercise causes a tremendous step forward in spiritual development. Another benefit of journaling is that we examine our lives and an even greater benefit he says is the very act of journaling -sitting down -reaching for your notebook- focusing thoughts on our life -writing for short time (one page) will reduce our busy life and thoughts to a slower speed.
    Em, you are already a prolific literary sharer in music and word and indeed in conversation, so these are just some thoughts I'm sharing to help you when you're feeling overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jody Muka commenting:
    Gordon MacDonald's book "Ordering Your Private World" suggests journalling with a twist: plan to write every day, but restrict yourself to ONE page. Everyday when you start to journal on your blank page Write the same first word: Yesterday. Follow this with a paragraph or two recounting yesterday's events -sort of a post-game analysis. Write whatever you want (you don't have to organize or limit yourself) perhaps al description of the people you interacted with;your appointments;thoughts; feelings; high points, low points,; decisions; frustrations; what you read or learned in your Bible; what you were going to do and didn't do. According to McDonald this exercise causes a tremendous step forward in spiritual development. Another benefit of journaling is that we examine our lives and an even greater benefit he says is the very act of journaling -sitting down -reaching for your notebook- focusing thoughts on our life -writing for short time (one page) will reduce our busy life and thoughts to a slower speed.
    Em, you are already a prolific literary sharer in music and word and indeed in conversation, so these are just some thoughts I'm sharing to help you when you're feeling overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to say that those words..."Talk to me like human" are so beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Talk to Me Like a Human, Please

This week’s post covers a topic I touched on in the last post. I already discussed how that gentleman on the porch picked the most awkward phrase possible—“that problem”—to refer to my blindness. But worse than that was how he asked my teacher about my blindness instead of asking me. He referred to me in the third person as if I were not there at all. I’ve had so many of these types of interactions with strangers that by now most of them have just faded into one frustrating blur.  But one of these incidents was so egregious that I’m pretty sure it will live on forever in my memory. I’m going to retell it here and then deconstruct it. Then by analyzing that incident, I will be able to explain what not to do when interacting with a blind person, why not to do it, and what to do instead.  I was walking around the mall with a friend. It was just a chill hangout sesh. We were chatting as we meandered through, not really looking for any stores in particular,, though we did stop for tea a

The Problem of Productivity

This is the first end of summer since seventh grade that I will not be starting school. As I write this, Davidson’s first day of classes started last Thursday. The day before that, my brothers and sister woke up early to start their first day back. All that day I felt strange and a little melancholic. I feel like I should be starting school too. The summer’s over. It’s time to wake up early and get ready for long days of work. It’s time to have a fixed schedule and a plan and be stressed out and counting down the next days till break. It’s time for classes or Zoom meetings or something. But none of those normal things that I’ve gotten so used to are happening right now.  I spent the month of June agonizing over my decision, but finally decided to take a leave of absence from school this fall. It’s not just that I won’t be on campus. I’m not enrolled in classes at all. I never thought I would be pressing the pause button halfway through college, but here we are.  Why did I decide no