Skip to main content

Rapunzel (a poem)

    My life unfolds in a small room:

  • 1 desk and chair by the door
  • 1 window
  • 1 cot-like bed
  • 1 bookshelf
  • 1 fan
  • 1 closet


This room is my prison.

It makes me 

a lethargic 

caged 

animal, 

like the lion at the zoo who just sleeps 

stretched out in the sun.

It stifles 

my desire to scream 

and knock down 

one of the walls. 

It turns my rage

to despondent tears.

It turns my snark 

to soft meekness 

that wraps itself in sleep for self-preservation

till soon I stop using all my room’s small space

and just curl up

on my bed.


And soon this cell becomes a haven 

against the scary sprawling world too big

for a tired mind like mine 

to navigate.

It gives me rest when I am weary.

It hides my tears from prying eyes.

It lets me think my thoughts uninterrupted.

I’m the queen 

of this place. 

It’s mine to use 

as I see fit.

Nothing can be lost, and I cannot be lost in space so small.

In my prison,

I am free.


But I know it’s not real freedom.

It’s a mockery of me. 

Real freedom would be strolling in the 

sunlit afternoon,

laughing with newfound friends at the waterfall,

hiking all day, and 

dancing late 

into the night,

entering a place when I want to enter

and leaving when I want to leave. 

My prison is sadistic, 

but this poor turtle has no better shell.

It’s either this or lie 

exposed 

and drained and vulnerable

in the middle of a 

highway.


So I hear the shouts and laughter from my window,

keep the window open, breathe 

the summer air.

But I stay inside

and snuggle 

deeper in

my blankets,

and burrow 

deeper in

myself,

and whither 

away 

a little 

more. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Talk to Me Like a Human, Please

This week’s post covers a topic I touched on in the last post. I already discussed how that gentleman on the porch picked the most awkward phrase possible—“that problem”—to refer to my blindness. But worse than that was how he asked my teacher about my blindness instead of asking me. He referred to me in the third person as if I were not there at all. I’ve had so many of these types of interactions with strangers that by now most of them have just faded into one frustrating blur.  But one of these incidents was so egregious that I’m pretty sure it will live on forever in my memory. I’m going to retell it here and then deconstruct it. Then by analyzing that incident, I will be able to explain what not to do when interacting with a blind person, why not to do it, and what to do instead.  I was walking around the mall with a friend. It was just a chill hangout sesh. We were chatting as we meandered through, not really looking for any stores in particular,, though we did stop for tea a

The Start of the Journey

The Pain of Writing Maybe I should just start by saying it’s taken me weeks to write this blog post. Before I could make myself sit down and write, I had to shove aside all the clutter in my mind and tune out the chaos of my house. That proved and is proving to be an ongoing struggle. I’ve been experiencing an incredible lack of focus these past few months, and I don’t think I’m the only one. That’s part of the reason for this blog. I need to write instead of letting thoughts tumble endlessly in my head until they rob me of sleep and make me feel sad and stuck. But I also need accountability and direction. I don’t create when I don’t feel a sense of urgency. This is partly because I’m lazy and partly because I have a gift for stopping literary endeavors before I even get started.  This is what happens. I sit down with my open laptop, excited to start writing. Then I pause. I could write about literally anything. What should I pick? Then my